Finding out about the loss of my momo twins ( part 3)

 After we got the devastating news, we went to where I  registered for antenatal and delivery. They were all shocked. Now this brings me to the general nonchalant attitude of the Nigerian Health care system. All the time I had series of scan, antenatal visits and so on, never was I told that my pregnancy was a high risk, never!! I was always told everything was fine, heart beats, liquor volume and the likes. Never was I told that my babies were monochorionic monoamniotic , that means sharing every damn thing,from placenta to umbilical cord to sacs, everything !! and there I was certain that they were perfectly fine. The midwives were all shocked and went through my perfect file. They started asking their regular questions as 'what happened, did you fall, did you, did you not? Deaf ears!!I was only just pondering in the pool of my tears and agony, wishing they could bring my babies to life instead of asking questions.. I was referred to another hospital for a second opinion or confirmation. We arrived at about 3pm and was told that the diagnostic radiologist was absent, visited an 'Almighty' nearby private hospital and was told the same thing. Then a woman who noticed our plight and agitation beckoned on us and connected us to her son who is a Friend of a well known gynecologist. We were lucky to get him back to the hospital after he had closed for the day and this was already after curfew hours. Meanwhile my husband was already having it hot with one of the midwives who was acting saucy and all, he threatened to leave the hospital until other midwives intervened and pleaded on her behalf. Some Nigerian midwives and their appalling attitude towards patients though, story for another day. I was still numb and in my pain, just waiting and hoping  the doctor  arrives to give an entirely different opinion.  He finally came, took us in his office, asked few questions and counselled us. We went into the scan room afterwards and wolla!!! My babies were confirmed dead.. Omo!!! I wan faint!!! We managed to pull through.. Left for our home to shower and to return to the hospital for induced labor and delivery. On our way home, we got  white clothes for the babies, a showel to dig their graves.. ahhh!! See me burying my babies!! I cried all through!! Did I also mention that my grandma who came for 'omugwo' ( to take care of a mother and her new born baby)but at the time staying with my aunt, her daughter ,took ill and was admitted at the same hospital but she was unaware of what was happening to me until six weeks after. She almost died in the hospital but all Glory to God she survived. It was really a devastating experience.. I remember going to see her before I was induced to let her know that I was fine. She faintly looked at me and said she won't die but will be alive to carry her great grand kids. That instantly broke my heart the more because I remember she stayed back from February just so she witnesses my growth. During the time, I would visit her and she will tell me so many stories of what happened when she was pregnant with my mum and her siblings and how a couple of them died. We created so many memories together and I would tell her how her great grand kids couldn't wait to see her.. unfortunately it didn't happen!! The next day, I was induced and labor started gradually.. stay glued for my labor story!!

Comments

Popular Posts