Labor and delivery

 Before I had the babies,  I was given an option to be induced or operated on. I chose the latter because I didn't want to go through the process of the pain of giving birth to babies that were already dead. However later on,  I was advised to be induced since they were still little. My husband stood by me and was up for whatever decision I took. I braced up to be induced by 12am 18th August. When we got to the hospital at about 7pm, I was checked and it was confirmed that both babies were breached but was said that I could still push them. At the gynea ward, I remember hearing a particular woman in labour yelling from about 8pm till  about 1am . It was terrifying hearing such scream and just thinking to myself of how I might go through the same process with Dead babies, broke my heart. At least at the end of her scream, it was accompanied with the cry of her babies!! It was already taking a toll on me just thinking of such. My husband laid with me, encouraged me throughout the process and was later asked to leave for me to be induced. I remember sharing the gynea ward with two pregnant women who had malaria and had to be admitted. They sympathized with me on hearing my story and kept staring at my husband and I with eyes of pity. After I was induced, I slept off. The midwife explained that I will be given the inducement four times at an interval of six hours starting from 12am. I was given another dose at 6am, 12pm. After 12pm, I started feeling crampy , just a little pain here and there. I also had visitors trooping in and out to sympathize with me. After the last dose by 6pm, the pain increased and I became uneasy and restless. One of the gynecologist who was interested in my story came in and said to speed up the process. I was taken into the labor room and an iron clamp was inserted into me to aid a slightly inflated balloon with water. He explained that it was to fasten labor and if the ballon falls off, then I should be ready to give birth. It was an excruciating process!! The labor pain had just gotten real and here they were putting something else to make it realer!! After that process, I was aided back to the gynea ward to continue my groans. I groaned all the way to at about 12am the next day. Suddenly the balloon fell off. I must admit that my labor pain was indeed a PAIN. It skyrockets and stays there for at about a minute , comes back down for few seconds just to go back up again.. it was a rollercoaster of real pain. At the time it just comes down, I'll just wish it will at least give me a break to catch my breath but before I get the chance to say a wish, we're back to the intense pain.. My blood pressure was already high!!. I was eventually stabilized and taken to the labor room for delivery!! Omo!!! Na there I wan faint!!(just describing the pain). It was like the pain knew I was in the labor room and decided to intensify.. I moaned and groaned loudly!! I can't even describe what anyone was trying to do in the labor room, I was just groaning loudly, opening my legs like a crazy woman and wallowing in my pain. All of a sudden, my water broke and it felt really warm on me. Then I felt the urge to push which I gradually did. The bottom and legs of the first twin popped out and stuck there. The doctor tried to bring out his remaining body but all to no avail. The struggle was real for about 15minutes and just when they were thinking of what to do next, I felt the urge to push and wolla !! The baby came out and almost immediately, the second twin followed , same way, accompanied with a very tight and twisted umbilical cord. 'ah , sorry madam, sorry ma, this was it ooo' was all I could hear!! I felt so relieved after they came out as if the pain never happened but an anguish of agony resurfaced because I didn't hear a cry. After few seconds, I birthed their placenta and that was it. It was all over at about 1:45am. I was cleaned up and given an injection on my lap that was as painful as labor. I was  and I'm thankful I didn't have a tear. It was always scary listening to stories of stitching the vagina or cervix after delivery, scary stuff!! After the whole charade, I was taken into the gynea ward. My husband who had excused his stressed out self for a nap before delivery came back after everything was done. He was so surprised that I had already given birth!! We agreed we weren't going to see them but I just couldn't help it. I laid my eyes on my babies, hmmm!! They were so perfect even in death. So hairy , the chubbiest , handsome tiny humans I had ever seen. I couldn't believe my babies were maturing into very perfect beings. I broke down again!! Few hours in,at about 3am, I slept off and woke up 'fully' at about 2pm. My husband had already buried them with the help of friends and well wishers. Unfortunately both of our families do not reside in the state we live so it was just one endless call to another. My mum was also far away but it felt like she was there with me.. We decided to keep the news away from few people until we were ready to announce it. My husband and I just needed some time alone to process all that just happened. After two days, I was discharged. The thought of going back home with an empty stomach and nothing to show for it, the thought of looking at the baby stuffs we had already purchased, the thought of the memories I had created with them in my tummy shattered me.. I felt helpless!!

Comments

Popular Posts